- Located on the Peel River, 43km upstream of Tamworth.
- Dam completed in 1979.
- Storage capacity of 62,830 megalitres (will be 100,000 megalitres following augmentation).
About the upgrade
- Stage one - $13 million funded by the NSW Government.
- Stage two and augmentation - $43.33 million funded by the Australian Government, NSW Government and Tamworth Regional Council.
- 2010 commence construction on stage one.
- 2015 expected completion of all works.
Upgrade the dam to comply with ANCOLD and DSC safety standards.
- Stage one - Construction of a 35 metre auxiliary spillway with release plug.
- Stage two and augmentation - Stage two of the upgrade will be incorporated into augmentation, involving raising the dam wall by 8 metres and subsequent works to raise the morning glory spillway and bridge deck. These works will increase the full supply level of the dam by 6.5 metres, the dam’s capacity from 62GL to 100GL and ensure it can withstand the maximum possible flood.
Water releases will not be altered by the upgrade.
- Improved ability of dam to withstand extreme floods.
- Improved environmental outcomes.
- Stimulating local economy during the construction phase.
- Secure water supply for Tamworth.
Stage one works
- 2009 late - Review of environmental factors.
- 2009 late - Detail design completed.
- 2010 early - Construction commenced.
- 2011 February - Construction completed.
- 2011 mid year - Commence detailed design for stage two and augmentation.
- 2014 early - Subject to environmental approval - commence construction on stage two and augmentation.
- 2015 - Complete upgrade and augmentation.
- 2012 April - Contract awarded for environmental impact assessment .
- 2011 December - Contract for stage two and augmentation detailed design awarded.
- 2011 February - Stage one construction completed.
- 2011 February - Stage two and augmentation funding announced.
- 2010 June - Construction on stage one works commenced.
- Detailed geotechnical investigation of the proposed works completed.
- Environmental assessment of trial options for the upgrade and augmentation completed.
May 2012 - Chaffey Dam safety upgrade and augmentation (PDF 461 KB)
Worley Parsons - Chaffey Dam upgrade stage two and augmentation information website
- 15.11.2012 - Tenders called for Chaffey augmentation
- 23.08.2012 - Second round of Chaffey information sessions
- 12.07.2012 - Chaffey information day
- 30.04.2012 - Environmental assessment for Chaffey works
- 15.12.2011 - Detailed design contract awarded for Chaffey Dam
- 16.05.2011 - Students to plant Chaffey wildlife corridor
- 15.03.2011 - $13 million Chaffey stage one upgrade complete
- 23.06.2010 - Chaffey construction officially starts
- 09.02.2010 - Chaffey augmentation brought forward to secure Tamworth's future water supplies (PDF 42 KB)
Project Manager: Jubrahil Khan
Phone: 1300 662 077