- Located on the Namoi River, 30km upstream of Gunnedah.
- Dam completed in 1960.
- Storage capacity of 425,510 megalitres.
About the upgrade
- Cost in excess of $100 million.
- Funded by the NSW State Government.
- 2009 start date.
- 2016 expected completion.
Upgrade to comply with ANCOLD and DSC safety standards. Construct two spillways, three saddle dams and raise the main dam wall. Storage capacity and water releases will not be altered by the upgrade.
- Improved ability of dam to withstand extreme flooding.
- Stimulated local economy during construction phase.
- Increased sustainable regional development.
- Improved environmental outcomes through implementation of a biodiversity offset plan.
Construction of two spillways (work package one)
- 2009 August - Completion of design.
- 2010 March - Commence construction.
- 2011 September - Complete construction.
Raise the main dam wall (work package two)
- 2010 - Design completed.
- 2014 - Commence construction.
- 2016 - Complete construction.
- 2014 January - Tender awarded for preliminary electrical works
- 2013 April - Tender awarded to remove right abutment cofferdam
- 2011 October - Works package one completed.
- 2011 June - Road base material donated to Lake Keepit Soaring Club.
- 2011 February - New amenities handed back to Keepit State Park.
- The Community Construction Liaison Group meeting regularly throughout the project for updates.
- Construction progressing according to schedule.
- 2010 March - Construction commences.
- 2010 January - NSW Government announces funding for upgrade.
- 24.02.2010 - Construction Environmental Management Plan - work package 1 (PDF 24.7 MB)
- 23.02.2010 - Upgrade Ecological Monitoring Program - pre-construction survey (PDF 1.86 MB)
- 04.02.2010 - Community Construction Liaison Group - meeting minutes (PDF 43 KB)
- 17.01.2014 - Contract awarded for preliminary Keepit Dam works
- 23.09.2013 - Tenders called for preliminary Keepit works
- 17.07.2013 - Keepit cofferdams successfully removed
- 21.05.2013 - Second Keepit cofferdam to be removed
- 22.04.2013 - Tender awarded to remove Keepit cofferdam
- 19.11.2012 - Namoi fish set to access more river
- 02.11.2011 - Keepit package 1 - Completed on time, on budget, local jobs
- 28.06.2011 - Keepit material donated to local club
- 02.02.2011 - Upgrade brings new amenities to Keepit park
- 21.12.2010 - Keepit project gets tick of approval
- 16.11.2010 - Business boosted by Keepit upgrade
- 31.05.2010 - Keepit upgrade takes shape
- 24.03.2010 - First sod turned in Keepit upgrade
- 18.01.2010 - Keepit Dam gets $146.4M boost (PDF 35 KB)
Project Manager: Nava Jeyachandran
Phone: 1300 662 077