A national water initiative, a state solution
In 2004, all Australian governments agreed to establish a national approach to water management, by creating the National Water Initiative. Under the initiative, new national standards for water meters and meter data collection systems were established. Agreed standards for rural water were confirmed in 2009 with the Australian government overseeing the replacement of all non-conforming meters by 30 June 2016.
The NSW Metering Scheme
Funded as part of the NSW Government's $1.36 billion Sustaining the Basin initiative, the NSW Metering Scheme will deliver water savings that will be shared between the environment and community. The Sustaining the Basin initiative contains a range of measures funded by the NSW Government as part of the Australian Government’s Sustainable Rural Water Use and Infrastructure Program.
The Australian Government has agreed in principle to commit up to $221 million to the NSW Metering Scheme to improve the measurement of water extracted from groundwater, regulated and unregulated rivers throughout the Murray Darling Basin. Ultimately, the NSW Metering Project will see the installation of high accuracy, tamper proof and low maintenance meters across the NSW Murray-Darling Basin.
Southern Valleys Metering Project
- The Southern Valleys Metering Project will see installation of new water meters on regulated, unregulated and groundwater extractions continue across the Murrumbidgee, Murray and Lower Darling.
- The project is scheduled to commence mid-2015 and be completed by mid-2016
Completed metering projects
The Murray Pilot, Murrumingdee CARM and Mid Murray metering projects have already been completed in New South Wales.
- Murray Pilot project: The Murray Pilot project was completed in 2013 , which saw 600 telemetry-enabled meters installed in the upper Murray catchment. The Murray Pilot was used to evaluate installation options and techniques prior to the roll out of the projects.
- Murrumbidgee CARM project: The metering component of the Murrumbidgee CARM project, involved installation of 600 meters on the Murrumbidgee River in 2013. Metering was one of five components of the CARM project, which also includes capital works and technology upgrades.
- Mid-Murray project: In 2014, 70 meters were installed in the mid-Murray region in the first stage of the Southern Valleys Metering Project.
Documents and fact sheets
Information sheets regarding the metering scheme, types of water meters and specific projects are available here.
Consultation and communication
The engagement process for each project is provided in detail here.
The full list of project benefits is available here.
1300 662 077