Your account

The NSW Office of Water are the agency responsible for issuing you with a water access licence under the Water Management Act 2000. A water licence grants you the right to share in the use of available water from nominated source(s). A water licence provides you with a water entitlement or share component.

Each year the Office assesses available resources held in storages across the state. These assessments, known as Available Water Determinations (AWDs), are announced at the commencement of the water year. The AWD credits your water account with an amount of water, based on your licensed shared component, which you may extract within the water year.

The Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal (IPART) set the maximum price that State Water may charge for your water entitlement and water usage for a water year, or any part thereof.

Please note that your water entitlement is the full licenced amount of water you hold and not the annual allocation or available water determination.

For more information, download The connection between your licence and State Water (PDF 278 KB) and the State Water and NSW Office of Water - What's the difference? (PDF 327 KB) fact sheets.

Frequently Asked Questions

When are accounts issued?

Bills are posted in October, January, April and August.

State Water bills in arrears. 

Instead of receiving your bill for the full twelve months, you will receive a bill that represents a quarter of your entitlement charges as well as any usage charges for the previous three month period. Please note that your licenced entitlement isn't being reduced in any way.  We are simply breaking it up into four instalments.

How long do I get to pay my bill?

All accounts are payable, in full, within 30 days of the date of issue.

If your account is not paid by the due date, interest will be charged on the outstanding amount, in accordance with the rate set by the Supreme Court of NSW.

We will send you a reminder notice(s) and overdue notice(s) if your bill is overdue. If you do not pay your bill, State Water may suspend your licence and this will affect your ability to order and take water.

Interest charges

Interest is charged on overdue bills in accordance with the current rate of 8.75%, which has been set by the Supreme Court of NSW. Interest will be charged even if you have negotiated a payment plan with State Water.

Waiving of interest

Requests for waiving interest must be submitted in writing (email or letter mailed to us).

Please state clearly why the interest on your bill should be waivered.

All customers are advised to pay the principal amount on the invoice and submit their request in writing to or State Water, Locked Bag 51, Dubbo NSW 2830.

Billing errorsHow to find your customer account number

If you feel that your invoice is incorrect, please contact us via:

Billing hotline on 1300 662 077 or

You will need to quote your customer account number when contacting State Water regarding your bill.

The image to the right highlights the areas where your customer account number is located. 


State Water is committed to resolving all concerns or issues you have about its operations. If you would like to provide feedback follow this link: Feedback

Payment options

We offer a range of payment options to make the payment of your account easier.

  • BPay is one of the easiest and quickest ways to pay your water bill either by bank transfer or credit card. It takes about two minutes and you can do it 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you chose to pay via BPay, always remember to record your transaction receipt number.
  • POST Billpay - Pay by cash, EFTPOS or cheque at any Australia Post Office
    Please take your TAX INVOICE to the Post Office. Staff will need to scan the barcode on the original
    invoice - NOT your statement.
    POST Billpay - Pay your bill on the Australia Post website
    POST Billpay - Pay your bill by phoning Australia Post Billpay on 13 18 16
  • Cheque or money order, posted with the payment advice slip(s) from your bill or statement to: State Water, GPO Box 2694, SYDNEY, NSW 2001

Download the 'How to pay your State Water invoice' fact sheet (PDF 275 KB)


State Water can negotiate a payment plan for your account if you are experiencing genuine hardship. This will reduce the risk of your licence being suspended for non-payment.

To be eligible for a deferred payment plan longer than three months, you must satisfy one or more of the following conditions:

  • You are receiving direct benefits from the Commonwealth Exceptional Circumstances Scheme
  • You are receiving benefits under a State-operated drought or other natural disaster relief scheme
  • You are suffering conditions arising from a drought of record in your valley/area, and have no carryover water or access to other water
  • You are experiencing conditions that create a direct and significant impact on your ability to pay water charges.

Your application must be supported by one or more of the following:

  • Documentary evidence from Centrelink or the Rural Assistance Authority that demonstrates financial hardship
  • Evidence that farm income has been reduced by at least 70% due to the abnormal conditions being experienced
  • A Statutory Declaration of off-farm income and investment levels, with evidence that annual off-farm income is less than $20,000 per annum
  • Evidence that you have attempted to trade any available water on the temporary or permanent market, eg copies of water transfer applications.

Overdue bills will continue to attract interest.

We carefully and confidentially consider all applications to defer payments. However, requests for negotiated payments are not automatically approved.

Need more information?

If you require more information or would like to contact our billing unit contact:

Phone: 1300 662 077