- Located on the Peel River, 43km upstream of Tamworth.
- Dam completed in 1979.
- Storage capacity of 62,830 megalitres (will be 100,000 megalitres following augmentation).
About the upgrade
- Stage one - $13 million funded by the NSW Government.
- Stage two and augmentation - $50 million funded by the Australian Government, NSW Government and Tamworth Regional Council.
- 2010 commence construction on stage one.
- 2016 expected completion of all works.
Upgrade the dam to comply with ANCOLD and DSC safety standards.
- Stage one - Construction of a 35 metre auxiliary spillway with release plug.
- Stage two and augmentation - Stage two of the upgrade will be incorporated into augmentation, involving raising the dam wall by 8 metres. The project will increase the full supply level of the dam by 6.5 metres, the dam’s capacity from 62GL to 100GL and ensure it can withstand the maximum possible flood.
- Improved ability of dam to withstand extreme floods.
- Securing the long term water supply for Tamworth.
- Improve the security of water entitlements for downstream users.
- Stimulating local economy during the construction phase.
Stage one works
- 2009 late - Review of environmental factors.
- 2009 late - Detail design completed.
- 2010 early - Construction commenced.
- 2011 February - Construction completed.
- 2011 mid-year - Commence detailed design for stage two and augmentation.
- 2014 mid to late - Commence construction on stage two and augmentation.
- 2016 - Expected completion of entire upgrade
- 2014 May - Contract awarded for construction on stage two and augmentation
- 2014 April - Environmental approvals granted.
- 2012 April - Contract awarded for environmental impact assessment.
- 2011 December - Contract for stage two and augmentation detailed design awarded.
- 2011 February - Stage one construction completed.
- 2011 February - Stage two and augmentation funding announced.
- 2010 June - Construction on stage one works commenced.
- Detailed geotechnical investigation of the proposed works completed.
- Environmental assessment of trial options for the upgrade and augmentation completed.
May 2014 - Chaffey Dam safety upgrade and augmentation (PDF 234 KB)
Worley Parsons - Chaffey Dam upgrade stage two and augmentation information website
- 30.05.2014 - Vital step forward in Chaffey Dam expansion
- 15.11.2012 - Tenders called for Chaffey augmentation
- 23.08.2012 - Second round of Chaffey information sessions
- 12.07.2012 - Chaffey information day
- 30.04.2012 - Environmental assessment for Chaffey works
- 15.12.2011 - Detailed design contract awarded for Chaffey Dam
- 16.05.2011 - Students to plant Chaffey wildlife corridor
- 15.03.2011 - $13 million Chaffey stage one upgrade complete
- 23.06.2010 - Chaffey construction officially starts
- 09.02.2010 - Chaffey augmentation brought forward to secure Tamworth's future water supplies (PDF 42 KB)
Register your interest
Subscribe to receive updates on the Chaffey Dam upgrade and augmentation project.
Project Manager: Jubrahil Khan
Phone: 1300 662 077